Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Investment buckets

I have been discussing my investment objectives in my various posts. Here in this post I am going to jot down a high level plan to meet my investment goals.

I have divided my total savings into four chunks majorly.

1> Bond Fund Chunk: This contains 30% of my total investment. I keep this fund in safe heaven such as AAA rating FDs, NSCs and PPF (yes I consider PPF a very good investment vehicle). In this bit of my investment planning, I am allocating money for my short term needs such as my education etc. I am happy with 8%-9% growth in this investment chunk.

2> Opportunity Fund: This is the most liquid part of my income portfolio and never exceeds 10% cap. I keep it in my savings account and use it to take advantage of news based sentiments. ICICI buying BOR, petrol prices etc. Since I am not a regular follower of complex news items, this part of the portfolio remains cash most of the time.

3> Medium to Long term Equity fund: This contains 30% of my investment capacity. I allocate this capital for various equity linked avenues. A part in Mutual Funds and a part in stocks. Here I choose companies which have good management and have wonderful business concept/moat and are to grow for sure. I consider Moser Baer, ABCIL in such category.

4> Dividend chunk fund: This consists my rest 30% investment chunk. Here in this part of the portfolio I would rather invest in a company that gives good dividends. My aim from this pocket of investment is to have capital appreciation and maintain a regular flow of income in terms of dividends.

Having said all this, I shall deliberate more on what to vehicle to choose for each investment chunk in further posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment